So there's this relatively new thing going on in our house. Actually, it's been happening for a while, but it's gotten much worse in the last few weeks. Maybe it's been all the rain we've had these last few months, or the cold weather that's kept the kids indoors. But my children are fighting constantly. I'm the youngest of three kids, and I know that my brother and I fought...a lot growing up. But if I can't believe it was like this. And if it was...well, mom and dad I am truly sorry.
When it suits them, Trevor and Marisa can be the best of friends. We have numerous pictures to prove it. If one of them gets hurt, the other is usually the first to ask if they're ok. They've each come running in the house to tell me someone fell down, or so and so is crying. But they are also very quick to tell me "Mom! Marisa is making faces at me" or "Trevor hit me." I completely understand now why my mother told me not to tattle. Tattling has to be one of the most annoying things kids do. A recent trip to Marisa's kindergarten class confirmed for me that it's even more annoying when 16 kids are doing it!
Rides in the car together, especially on Monday afternoons on the way home from piano, usually end with me declaring that there will be "no more talking until we get home". It's purely for my sanity. And I admit that I have uttered the classic phrase, "Don't make me pull this car over!" I don't know what I would do if I actually did "pull the car over," but, well, I'm sure they wouldn't like it.
It was so bad after the Christmas break that when the forecast called for snow just three short days later, I actually watched the school closings ticker saying (out loud) "Please, not Gwinnett. Please not Gwinnett." I woke up the next morning very disappointed. And then there wasn't even any good snow to play in!
Other moms tell me their kids fight constantly, too. And it does make me feel a little better to know that this is not exclusive to our house. But I really don't know if I can do this for 10 more years (and that's if Trevor goes away to college). Calgon, take me away!

No comments:
Post a Comment